DLS/MGA Legislative Fellowship Program
2023 Legislative Fellow Class
Experience Excellence Public Service
The Legislative Fellows Program offers top students in Maryland graduate programs an immersive experience in the legislative process working alongside nonpartisan staff within the Department of Legislative Services (DLS), the professional staff agency for the Maryland General Assembly (MGA). Fellows will work during the General Assembly’s annual 90-day legislative session (January – April) and assist legal, fiscal and committee staff with their regular session duties.
- The Fellows Program is specifically designed for graduate students at Maryland and regional institutions offering master’s degrees in public policy as well as law students.
- Graduate students with a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in legislative / public policy work should consider the legislative fellowship. Applicants must have strong writing and analytical skills and a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher. A graduate in good standing from the schools specified above may apply during the application period.
- In addition, graduate students may apply if in a related course of study or pursuing a major relevant to public policy including but not limited to economics, environmental studies, education, public health and various other quantitative, policy or legal studies.
Fellows will be assigned to work alongside staff within leadership offices and the Office of Policy Analysis (OPA). While work duties may vary depending on the specific job assignment, fellows will generally be involved in legal, fiscal and policy research and analysis as well as responding to legislative requests and producing publication content. All work assignments require strong writing and analytical skills. The stipend for the position is $7,500.
For a detailed description of each OPA function, see the “Office of Policy Analysis” section on the department organization page of the DLS website.
- Leadership Fellows
The leadership fellow supports the presiding officers’ staff in the General Assembly. Responsibilities include coordinating standing committee activities, monitoring committee hearings, and serving as a liaison between General Assembly leadership, State officials and the public. Duties may include monitoring floor activity in the Senate/House, short-term legislative planning, tracking legislation, scheduling meetings, and writing legislative memoranda.
- OPA Fellows
The Office of Policy Analysis (OPA) fellow supports specific legislative staff functions such as budget analysis, fiscal and policy notes, and racial equity impact notes. A fellow may also be assigned to assist OPA staff working with individual committees. Duties may include writing budget analyses or fiscal and policy notes, assisting with research related to legislation or amendments to legislation, conducting general policy research, and making presentations to committees.
- Racial Equity Data Analysis Fellow
As part of the OPA fellows program, the racial equity impact note function seeks a fellow with specialized database management experience. The data analysis fellow must have experience with Microsoft Power BI and general database management skills. Duties include updating, verifying, and normalizing datasets received from state agencies, performing queries on the data, and preparing custom reports, charts and graphs from the data. Candidates should have a demonstrated interest in public policy.
Note: All stipends are taxable income and are paid at the end of the term.
- Interested graduate students should apply by sending a resume, a writing sample, and cover letter, (include your expected graduation date and a description of your writing sample) to the email address below. You may also apply through your school’s career services offices.
- In your cover letter, please briefly discuss your interest and/or background in public policy work. The application deadline is October 6.
- Email Application Packets to:
Michelle L. Davis
Legislative Fellows Program Coordinator
Maryland Dept. of Legislative Services