**At this time, all Visitors Program group tours are suspended indefinitely and reservations for future visit dates are not being taken.**
The Visitors Program in the Department of Legislative Services serves Members of the Maryland General Assembly, their staff, and public constituents by offering free educational tours of the legislative complex to groups by advance reservation only. These group tours can be reserved year-round for visits Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (with 4 p.m. being the last tour start time) and on Monday evening during the annual legislative session (January to early April) before the 8 p.m. floor session begins.
Group tours can possibly include the following elements, depending on the group’s interests, visit date, space availability, and other factors:
- Viewing a video about the legislative process in Maryland;
- Visiting the Maryland State House’s historic rooms and the Senate and House of Delegates chambers (if not in floor session);
- Observing a floor session from the Senate or House of Delegates galleries during the annual legislative session (seat availability not guaranteed);
- Touring the Senate and House Office Buildings, including the tunnels connecting them to the State House;
- Visiting a committee room;
- Meeting a legislator(s) from your group’s legislative district (schedule dependent);
- Receiving age-appropriate materials about the Maryland General Assembly; and
- On a limited basis, touring Government House (official residence of Maryland’s governor)—only an option on Tuesdays or Thursdays, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
To request an educational group tour: Please telephone the Visitors Program Coordinator (Mary Mulvihill) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or leave a voicemail at:
- 410-946-5423/5400 or 301-970-5423/5400
- 1-800-492-7122 (ext. 5423 or ext. 5400)
- TTY: 410-946-5401 (or 301-970-5401)
There is a limit to how many groups the Visitors Program can receive each day. Many legislative session dates get booked fully well in advance so early reservations are recommended.
Please provide the following details about your group’s tour request when you call:
- Group’s name and mailing address.
- Group leader’s name, contact phone number, and email address.
- Number of youth (and their grade levels) and adults in the group (Note: Student/youth groups need a sufficient number of adult chaperones).
- Preferred visit date and alternative dates; arrival and departure time preferences.
- Why does your group want to visit the Maryland General Assembly and do you have any specific topics of interest? (For school/youth groups, please mention any relevant learning activities the group is doing before the visit.)
- What Maryland legislative district is your group from? (The Visitors Program can give you that information and the names of your legislators.)
- Any special accommodations needed such as wheelchair access?
Buses are strictly prohibited on State Circle: The Visitors Program emails group leaders with reserved tours a map showing where buses can drop off and pick up groups. Buses can park, for a fee, at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.