Guided Tours of the Maryland General Assembly Legislative Complex
The Visitors Program in the Department of Legislative Services serves Members of the Maryland General Assembly, their staff, and public constituents by offering free guided tours of the legislative complex to groups on weekdays by advance reservation only. Two weeks advance notice is requested. There is a limit to how many groups the Visitors Program can reserve each weekday. Groups are typically a minimum of ten people in size.
There are two guided tour options for groups: LIVE Virtual Visits and In-Person Tours. Both focus on learning about (1) the history of the General Assembly, the Maryland State House, and other parts of the legislative complex; (2) the General Assembly as a representative body; and (3) the legislative process and the importance of public input in that process. The Visitors Program’s Pre-Visit Learning Materials issued to school/youth groups are a key component of their educational tour experience.
Request a LIVE Group Virtual Visit
Our LIVE Virtual Visits are a minimum of 45 minutes to a maximum of 75 minutes long, depending on your group’s preference. Our Visitors Program tour guide will engage your group LIVE in exploring the Maryland General Assembly’s legislative complex using 360-degree and still photography exclusive to reserved Virtual Visits. The visit will also include a screening of the General Assembly’s “The Legislative Process” video for adult, high school, and middle school groups (this video is not shown during In-Person Group Tours).
- School Groups and Youth Groups (3rd grade through 12th grade age groups): Our tour guides offer an interactive, participatory Virtual Visit with content tailored to grade levels (elementary, middle, and high school) and Maryland Legislative Districts. We regularly join classroom, Scout, and youth group meetings LIVE. Group Leaders should please submit this School/Youth Group Virtual Visit Request Form
- Adult Groups (Post-secondary school age groups and above): Our tour guides provide an engaging Virtual Visit with content tailored to Maryland Legislative Districts and, when possible, your group’s main interest for visiting the General Assembly. We regularly join civic group meetings, County Leadership programs, college classes and more LIVE. Group Leaders should please submit this Adult Group Virtual Visit Request Form
Request a Group In-Person Tour
The guided Group In-Person Tour can be (a) 60-minutes long with a guided visit of the Maryland State House and the Thurgood Marshall Memorial, or (b) 90-minutes long by adding on a guided visit to the Senate and/or House Office Buildings to see more of the legislative complex. School/Youth Groups need a minimum of one adult chaperone per 14 youth.
Group leaders can submit a request using this In-Person Group Tour Request Form:
- 15 people maximum can tour at one tour start time with one Visitors Program Tour Guide.
- 16 to 30 people maximum can tour at one tour start time with two Visitors Program Tour Guides, divided into two, equally sized “touring groups” before arriving.
- 60 people maximum can tour on one calendar weekday by requesting two different tour start times:
- One maximum 30-person group visits at the first tour start time while the other group members do another activity in Annapolis; the groups then swap with the second maximum 30-person group visiting at the second tour start time.
Group Leaders with 61 or more people can either (1) submit multiple In-Person Group Tour Request Forms for multiple calendar weekdays; or (2) request a LIVE, guided Virtual Visit above for the same calendar weekday (and at the same tour start time, if desired).