Guided Tours of the Maryland State House & Legislative Complex
The Visitors Program in the Department of Legislative Services serves Members of the Maryland General Assembly, their staff, and public constituents by offering free guided tours of the legislative complex to groups on weekdays by advance reservation only. Due to the program size, the Visitors Program can reserve a limited number of group tours each weekday. Two weeks advance notice is requested. Groups are typically a minimum of ten people in size.
There are two guided tour options for groups: LIVE Virtual Visits and In-Person Tours. Both focus on learning about (1) the history of the General Assembly, the Maryland State House, and other parts of the legislative complex; (2) the General Assembly as a representative body; and (3) the legislative process and the importance of public input in that process.
The guided Group In-Person Tour can be (a) 60-minutes long with a guided visit of the Maryland State House and the Thurgood Marshall Memorial, or (b) 90-minutes long by adding on a guided visit to the Senate and/or House Office Buildings to see more of the legislative complex. School/Youth Groups need a minimum of one adult chaperone per 14 youth.
Group leaders can submit a request using this In-Person Group Tour Request Form:
- 10 total guests is the minimum group size to request a guided State House Tour
- 20 total guests to 1 tour guide is the maximum group size ratio
- 60 total guests in a group can tour on one calendar weekday with concurrent start times.
- Anything beyond 60 total guests will require either multiple start times, or multiple calendar days for visits dependent on availability
Our LIVE Virtual Visits are a minimum of 45 minutes to a maximum of 75 minutes long, depending on your group’s preference. Our Visitors Program tour guide will engage your group LIVE in exploring the Maryland General Assembly’s legislative complex using 360-degree and still photography exclusive to reserved Virtual Visits.
- School Groups and Youth Groups (3rd grade through 12th grade age groups): Our tour guides offer an interactive, participatory Virtual Visit with content tailored to grade levels (elementary, middle, and high school) and Maryland Legislative Districts. We regularly join classroom, Scout, and youth group meetings LIVE Guided Virtual State House Tour. Group Leaders should please submit this School/Youth Group Virtual Visit Request Form
- Adult Groups (Post-secondary school age groups and above): Our tour guides provide an engaging Virtual Visit with content tailored to Maryland Legislative Districts and, when possible, your group’s main interest for visiting the General Assembly. We regularly join civic group meetings, County Leadership programs, college classes and more LIVE. Group Leaders should please submit this Adult Group Virtual Visit Request Form